Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Multiliteracies Map

Reference:
The Multiliteracies Map. (2010, January 05). Government of South Australia. Retrieved on April 8, 2011, from http://www.earlyyearsliteracy.sa.edu.au/pages/resource/21402/?reFlag=1

Summary:
In this article, the author introduces The Multiliteracies Map, which is divided into four dimensions: the functional dimension, the meaning making dimension, the critical dimension, and the transformative dimension. This map was developed based on research which is focused on children whose ages were 4-8, and it is used by educators to learn how to educate children and how to evaluate them. In this research, the author concludes that children must be able to learn both traditional and digital literacy smoothly at the same time.

Reaction:
I remember that my father bought a computer for the first time when the Windows 95 was on sale. I was 12 years old, and I could not learn how to use it at all. Today, I have come to use it in my job or in my home every day and understand how to use it effectively. Considering of The Multiliteracies Map, however, I found myself to be poor at the functional dimension, and I do not know what it means. In this article, the research got a wonderful consequence. As the author says in the very last sentence, “today’s children must be able to do more.” I think it is true, but teachers who can educate children in digital literacy correctly are required for children. Then the world will be smaller and more useful in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment